Yahoo! News: Top Stories
| The news|| die Nachrichten|
Anbieter der folgenden Informationen ist Space.com:
(Stand: 05.12.2013, 20:53)
- Sun´s Super-Size Heat-Cells Surprise Scientists | Video
(Thu, 05 Dec 2013 14:50:34 EST:)
- Solar physicists have long suspected that giant heat-flow structures drive the Sun´s surface motions. Now they finally have proof from NASA´s Solar Dynamics Observatory.
- New Sunspot Spits Geysers Of Fire | Video
(Thu, 05 Dec 2013 14:31:05 EST:)
- On 5 December 2013, NASA´s Solar Dynamics Observatory captured a sun storm that recently rotated into Earth´s view spewing plasma. The largest eruption is over 15 Earth-diameters "tall."
- Second Light | Space Wallpaper
(Thu, 05 Dec 2013 13:09:30 EST:)
- This space wallpaper by NASA´s Kepler spacecraft shows the telescope´s full field of view taken in a new demonstration mode in late October.
- Secretive US Space Plane Spotted Over Ontario (Twice) | Video
(Thu, 05 Dec 2013 12:26:36 EST:)
- On Nov 24th and 28th, 2013, Kevin Fetter of Brockville, Ontario captured imagery of the U.S. Air Force´s X-37B space plane in the night sky. Orbiting Earth for over year, the mission´s purpose and capability is "in the black."
- Space History Photo: Impact Studies
(Thu, 05 Dec 2013 11:06:15 EST:)
- This energy flash is the product of a projectile hitting a solid surface at up to 17,000 mph.
- 40 Years Ago: NASA´s Pioneer 10 Snaps 1st Up-Close Look at Jupiter (Photo)
(Thu, 05 Dec 2013 08:12:14 EST:)
- Forty years ago this week, NASA´s Pioneer 10 probe beamed the first up-close images of Jupiter back to Earth.
- NASA´s Ailing Planet-Hunting Kepler Spacecraft Moves Closer to New Mission
(Thu, 05 Dec 2013 08:14:59 EST:)
- A proposed new mission for Kepler — whose original exoplanet hunt stalled this past May when the second of its four orientation-maintaining reaction wheels failed — has advanced to a NASA vetting stage called "senior review," agency officials announced to
- Bizzare Saturn Vortex Swirls in Stunning New NASA Video
(Thu, 05 Dec 2013 08:12:17 EST:)
- Scientists created the new video of Saturn´s vortex from 128 images snapped by NASA´s Cassini spacecraft in December 2012. It´s the highest-resolution movie yet obtained of the giant hexagon, which is about 20,000 miles wide, researchers said.
- Universe´s Biggest Explosions Shaped by Extreme Magnetic Fields
(Wed, 04 Dec 2013 19:03:59 EST:)
- Scientists have captured the best view yet of how gamma-ray bursts, the most powerful explosions in the universe, are shaped by extreme magnetic fields around black holes.
- Life on Mars: How a One-Way Martian Colony Project Could Work
(Wed, 04 Dec 2013 18:37:15 EST:)
- Soon, we´ll know who among the applicants on a one-way trip to Mars makes it into the second round. It´s a one-way ticket, but not to worry: you’ll live there longer than back home on Earth. After all, on Mars you can’t get hit by a car. One thing is cert
- How to See Venus and Moon in Daytime Sky Thursday
(Wed, 04 Dec 2013 17:51:07 EST:)
- Venus is now the showiest it will be for all of 2013 and 2014 in either the evening or the morning sky. The planet is so bright that you can spot it in a clear blue sky before sunset, if your eye lands on the right point in the south-southwest.
- Cassini Snaps New Views Of Saturn´s Hexagon | Video
(Wed, 04 Dec 2013 16:36:00 EST:)
- NASA´s Cassini probe has captured the highest resolution video yet of Saturn´s odd, hexagon shaped jet stream that spins around the gas giants north pole.
- Photos: US Air Force´s Secretive X-37B Space Plane Soars on 3rd Mission
(Wed, 04 Dec 2013 17:34:44 EST:)
- See photos of the third mission flown by the US Air Force´s secret space plane, the X-37B.
- Stunning Photos: Saturn´s Weird Hexagon Vortex Storms
(Wed, 28 Nov 2012 14:01:55 EST:)
- See amazing photos of the strange hexagon storm at Saturn´s north pole.
- Commercial Space Race Revolutionizing Business Off Planet Earth
(Wed, 04 Dec 2013 15:12:37 EST:)
- For decades, the space race was seen as being mostly about national pride. Getting there first mattered most, whereas pushing the frontiers of science and technology took a close second.
- Mystery of Moon´s Origin Could Be Solved by Venus Mission
(Wed, 04 Dec 2013 13:03:32 EST:)
- Scientists think the moon coalesced out of material blasted into space when a large object slammed into the proto-Earth in the solar system´s early days. Determining the composition of Venus could help explain how this mega-collision went down.
- Webcast Replay: NASA Discusses Saturn Photos, Cassini Mission
(Sat, 06 Oct 2012 17:18:16 EDT:)
- NASA is hosting a Google+ Hangout Wednesday (Dec. 4) at 3:30 p.m. EST (2030 GMT) to talk about the agency´s Cassini spacecraft and photos the probe has taken of Saturn.
- Moon Transits Sun from Spacecraft´s Point of View | Video
(Wed, 04 Dec 2013 12:41:39 EST:)
- NASA´s Solar Dynamics Observatory was treated to another lunar transit on Dec 2, 2013. The SDO team compiled the very best views from different imagers onboard the spacecraft.
- How NASA´s Voyager 1 Probe Recorded Sounds of Interstellar Space (Video)
(Wed, 04 Dec 2013 12:56:58 EST:)
- Voyager 1 sent back ´tones´ recorded by a plasma wave instrument showing the change as the craft crossed over from the heliosphere to interstellar space.
- Phases Of Venus And Geminids Reign In December 2013 Skywatching | Video
(Wed, 04 Dec 2013 12:21:37 EST:)
- Venus shines its brightest at 4.9 magnitude this month, the Geminid Meteor Shower peaks in mid December and more!. In the market for a telescope? - Click the blue ´SHOP´ link above.
- Apollo Couture: Astronaut Offers Replica of Iconic NASA Flight Jacket
(Wed, 04 Dec 2013 11:49:38 EST:)
- Apollo astronaut Al Worden, looking to keep the ´right stuff´ forefront in the public´s eye, has recreated his iconic NASA-issued blue flight jacket down to the last button.
- US Air Force X-37B Space Plane Launches 3rd Mystery Mission | Video
(Wed, 04 Dec 2013 11:07:17 EST:)
- The U.S. Air Force’s secretive X-37B space plane program launches its third mission, OTV-3, on Dec. 11, 2012 using a United Launch Alliance Atlas 5 rocket. The mission marked the first reflight of an X-37B robotic space plane.
- Comet ISON: Potential ´Comet of the Century´ News, Photos and Video
(Wed, 28 Aug 2013 16:52:35 EDT:)
- The much-anticipated Comet ISON will swing through the inner solar system in late 2013 as scientists watch. See SPACE.com´s latest news, photos, videos and ways to observe Comet ISON as it swings by Earth and the sun.
- Ancient and Mysterious | Space Wallpaper
(Wed, 04 Dec 2013 09:26:10 EST:)
- This cluster of stars seen in this space wallpaper is known as Messier 15. It is located some 35,000 light-years away in the constellation of Pegasus (The Winged Horse).
- Space History Photo: Submarine in Full Scale Tunnel at NACA Langley
(Wed, 04 Dec 2013 09:11:10 EST:)
- The world´s fastest submarine in 1950, the Albacore, is tested for drag characteristics in a NACA wind tunnel.
- Expert Voices: Op-Ed & Insights
(Wed, 28 Aug 2013 16:51:37 EDT:)
- SPACE.com invites experts in space exploration, science & technology to provide insightful commentary and informed perspective on news, current events, innovations, big ideas and ongoing research. Expert Voices includes Op-Ed analysis and opinion as well
- Air Force´s Mysterious X-37B Space Plane Nears One Year In Orbit
(Wed, 04 Dec 2013 06:29:42 EST:)
- The unmanned X-37B launched into space atop an Atlas 5 rocket from Florida’s Cape Canaveral Air Force Station on Dec. 11, 2012. What payloads the space plane is toting and the overall mission goals on its confidential cruise are classified.
- SpaceX Launches Falcon 9 Rocket On High-Stakes Commercial Satellite Mission
(Tue, 03 Dec 2013 19:00:50 EST:)
- SpaceX launched its first-ever commercial satellite bound for a geostationary orbit Tuesday (Dec. 3) in a landmark flight for the private spaceflight company.
- Gliese 581g: Potentially Habitable Planet — If It Exists
(Wed, 04 Dec 2013 16:47:56 EST:)
- Gliese 581g is an extra-solar planet that was discovered in 2010, but quickly cast into doubt by other studies. The original discoverers then published a follow-up paper in 2012 defending their find.
- Launch Photos: SpaceX Falcon 9 Rocket Blasts Off On Landmark Satellite Mission
(Thu, 28 Nov 2013 23:40:16 EST:)
- See photos from SpaceX´s SES-8 satellite launch mission atop a an upgraded Falcon 9 rocket on Dec. 3, 2013. Liftoff occurred at 5:41 p.m. EST from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida.
- SpaceX Launches Satellite To Geostationary Orbit For First Time | Video
(Tue, 03 Dec 2013 18:00:12 EST:)
- An upgraded Falcon 9 rocket lofted the SES-8 telecommunications satellite to a geosynchronous transfer orbit of 80,000km on Dec. 3rd, 2013.
- Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos´ Secretive Blue Origin Test-Fires Rocket Engine (Video)
(Tue, 03 Dec 2013 16:13:36 EST:)
- The secretive private spaceflight company Blue Origin has successfully test-fired a new engine for its rockets that could one day lift cargo and astronauts into orbit, NASA announced.
- Canada´s Star Astronaut Chris Hadfield Gets Mustachioed Welcome In Hometown Visit
(Wed, 04 Dec 2013 06:39:19 EST:)
- Mustaches were everywhere. On the balloons, face-painted on children and of course, on the face of celebrity astronaut Chris Hadfield himself when he showed up at the book signing.
- Astronaut Hopefuls Face Off for Axe Apollo´s Free Trip to Space This Week
(Tue, 03 Dec 2013 17:21:48 EST:)
- A group of would-be astronauts are heading down to Florida this week to compete for the opportunity of a lifetime: a free trip to the edge of space and back again.
- Photos: Chris Hadfield, Canada´s Star Astronaut, Hometown Visit
(Tue, 03 Dec 2013 15:10:58 EST:)
- Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield visited his hometown Nov. 23, 2013 for a book signing event that attracted an estimated 1,000 people in Sarnia, Ont. – population 72,000.
- Secretive Blue Origin Company Test Fires New Rocket Engine | Video
(Tue, 03 Dec 2013 15:04:47 EST:)
- In one of the few behind-the-scenes looks at the private space company´s assets, the hydrogen/oxygen fueled BE-3 rocket engine is test fired. Its being tested for use on the company´s orbital launch vehicle.
- Signs of Water Found on 5 Alien Planets by Hubble Telescope
(Tue, 03 Dec 2013 15:05:06 EST:)
- The five exoplanets are all scorching-hot, Jupiter-size worlds that are unlikely to host life as we know it. But finding water in their air still marks a step forward in the search for planets that may be capable of supporting alien life.
- Photos: Glimpses of Secretive Blue Origin´s Private Spaceships
(Fri, 02 Sep 2011 18:15:37 EDT:)
- See tantalizing spaceship photos from the secretive commercial space company Blue Origins.
- What´s In An Alien Planet´s Atmosphere? | Video
(Tue, 03 Dec 2013 14:06:17 EST:)
- When a planet transits its star, the change in light tells its tale. Size, mass and atmospheric composition can be derived. Especially critical: Does it have oxygen, the marker of life?
- The Gift Of Backyard Astronomy: December 2013 Skywatching Guide Video
(Tue, 03 Dec 2013 13:08:35 EST:)
- Want to know where to find Venus and Jupiter in the morning or the double star in Cassiopeia. Check out the Hubblesite´s latest guide to the best places to look in the night sky. Telescopes are just one click away - Click the blue ´SHOP´ link above.
- How to Turn the Moon Into a Giant Space Solar Power Hub
(Tue, 03 Dec 2013 12:30:21 EST:)
- When it comes to space and energy, we need to think big. That´s what one Japanese company is doing — and they´re reaching for the moon, literally.
- Spooky Physics Phenomenon May Link Universe´s Wormholes
(Tue, 03 Dec 2013 11:37:38 EST:)
- Now two independent groups of researchers suggest quantum entanglement may indeed be linked to wormholes. If this connection is true, it could help bridge quantum mechanics with general relativity, potentially helping better understand both.
- Stellar Drama | Space Wallpaper
(Tue, 03 Dec 2013 11:31:21 EST:)
- The Large Magellanic Cloud is one of the closest galaxies to our own. Astronomers have used ESO’s Very Large Telescope to explore NGC 2035, one of its lesser known regions, in great detail as seen in this stunning space wallpaper.
- SpaceX to Make 3rd Launch Attempt of Commercial Satellite Today: Watch It Live
(Tue, 03 Dec 2013 11:09:05 EST:)
- The private spaceflight company SpaceX will make its third attempt to launch a huge commercial communications satellite today (Dec. 3) in a landmark mission. The mission will launch at 5:41 p.m. EST (2241 GMT). Here´s how to watch.
- NASA Teams With Asteroid-Mining Company to Crowdsource Space Rock Hunt
(Tue, 03 Dec 2013 09:53:16 EST:)
- NASA announced this week that is partnering with the billionaire-backed company Planetary Resources Inc., to launch asteroid-hunting competitions, seeking to crowdsource new ideas for software to find space rocks that could pose a threat to our planet.
- Alien Super-Earth Planets Plentiful in Exoplanet Search
(Tue, 03 Dec 2013 07:27:23 EST:)
- Over the past few years, astronomers have found super-Earth planets orbiting different types of stars. One scientist has reviewed the latest discoveries for insight into how these planets form and whether such worlds could be habitable.
- December Skywatching: Autumn Dipper Lights Way to Andromeda´s ´Little Cloud´
(Mon, 02 Dec 2013 19:08:42 EST:)
- On winter evenings, a large cosmic figure, known as the Autumn Dipper, can be seen in the sky. This configuration looks like a much larger and brighter version of the Little Dipper.
- Fate of Comet ISON Uncertain After Fiery Sun Encounter
(Mon, 02 Dec 2013 18:48:04 EST:)
- The celestial saga continues for Comet ISON, which crept close to the sun like the fabled Icarus, only to apparently survive the encounter in at least a tenuous form. But whether Comet ISON will again be visible to the naked eye is far from certain.
- Photos: NASA´s Hubble Space Telescope Servicing Missions
(Mon, 02 Dec 2013 16:45:13 EST:)
- See images of the space shuttle missions to repair the Hubble Space Telescope, STS-61, STS-82, STS-103, STS-109 and STS-125.
- India´s First Mars Probe Begins Journey to Red Planet
(Mon, 02 Dec 2013 16:29:56 EST:)
- India´s first robotic Mars probe set sail for the Red Planet Saturday with a vital rocket burn to catapult the spacecraft out of the realm of Earth´s gravity and into interplanetary space.