Yahoo! News: Top Stories
| The news|| die Nachrichten|
Anbieter der folgenden Informationen ist Space.com:
(Stand: 24.04.2014, 02:38)
- Solar Eclipse Will Transform Sun into ´Ring of Fire´ Next Week
(Wed, 23 Apr 2014 17:23:07 EDT:)
- The sun will look like a ring of fire above some remote parts of the world next Tuesday (April 29) during a solar eclipse, but most people around the world won´t get a chance to see it.
- ´Ring of Fire´ Annular Solar Eclipse of April 29, 2014 (Visibility Maps)
(Wed, 23 Apr 2014 16:36:15 EDT:)
- On April 29, 2014, the moon will block much of the sun in a so-called annular solar eclipse, also known as a "ring of fire" solar eclipse. See where the solar eclipse will be visible from in this Space.com gallery.
- Moon and Mercury Shine Together in Amateur Photo
(Wed, 23 Apr 2014 15:57:46 EDT:)
- Skywatcher Victor Rogus of Jadwin, Missouri captured this wonderful image of 4 percent illuminated moon in conjunction with planet Mercury on Feb. 27, 2014. See how he did it.
- Virgin Galactic and Land Rover Team Up for Space Travel (Video)
(Wed, 23 Apr 2014 15:17:50 EDT:)
- Automaker Land Rover is teaming up with private spaceflight company Virgin Galactic to help transport future commercial astronauts on Earth before flights to space.
- Amateur Astronomers Capture Magnificent Mix of Celestial Delights in Amazing Photo
(Wed, 23 Apr 2014 15:26:52 EDT:)
- Two Michigan-based photographers, Terry Hancock of Fremont and Robert Fields of Howell Township, captured this brilliant image of three nebulas and a star cluster on April 11. See how they did it.
- Buzz Aldrin Wants NASA Astronauts to Visit Asteroid in Deep Space
(Wed, 23 Apr 2014 13:54:45 EDT:)
- While moonwalker Buzz Aldrin thinks that a mission sending humans to an asteroid is a good idea, the Apollo astronaut isn´t so happy with NASA´s current plan to get astronauts to a space rock.
- Lyrid Meteors Rain Over Earth, NASA Cameras Watch | Video
(Wed, 23 Apr 2014 13:07:13 EDT:)
- The annual meteor shower peaked on April 22nd, 2014 and NASA´s All Sky Fireball Network captured many of the streaking meteors as they burnt up in the atmosphere.
- Spacewalking Astronauts Replace Dead Computer on Space Station
(Wed, 23 Apr 2014 11:18:38 EDT:)
- A pair of NASA astronauts replaced a dead backup computer on the International Space Station during a short spacewalk Wednesday (April 23) to restore a critical computer system back to full strength.
- Virgin Galactic + Land Rover Partnership Driving to Sub-Orbital Tourism | Video
(Wed, 23 Apr 2014 10:57:28 EDT:)
- In a marketing exercise, the private space tourism company has joined forces with the sport utility vehicle giant to unveil the Land Rover Discovery Sport compact SUV.
- Spacewalk Photos: NASA Astronauts Replace Dead Space Station Computer (April 23, 2014)
(Wed, 23 Apr 2014 10:47:04 EDT:)
- See photos of NASA astronauts Rick Mastracchio and Steve Swanson as they spacewalk outside the International Space Station on April 23, 2014 to replace a dead backup computer on the outpost´s exterior.
- WATCH LIVE NOW: Manned Mars Exploration Conference
(Sat, 06 Oct 2012 17:18:16 EDT:)
- NASA officials and Mars exploration advocates discuss manned missions to the Red Planet at the Humans 2 Mars summit, which runs from April 22-24, 2014.
- US Astronauts Taking Spacewalk to Fix Space Station Today: Watch Live
(Wed, 23 Apr 2014 09:07:49 EDT:)
- Two NASA astronauts will take a short spacewalk to replace a dead computer on the International Space Station today. See how to watch it live here.
- SpaceX Video Captures Amazing Reusable Rocket Test Launch and Landing
(Wed, 23 Apr 2014 07:00:21 EDT:)
- SpaceX´s Falcon 9R rocket soared about 820 feet into the air last week at the company´s rocket development facility in McGregor, Texas, then came back down to Earth for a soft landing on the launch pad as planned.
- Mars Missions Could Make Humanity a Multi-Planet Species, NASA Chief Says
(Wed, 23 Apr 2014 06:52:06 EDT:)
- In order for humanity to survive into the distant future, we need to visit and even colonize other worlds, according to NASA chief Charles Bolden.
- Guion Bluford: First African-American in Space
(Wed, 23 Apr 2014 02:04:32 EDT:)
- Guion "Guy" Bluford is a former NASA astronaut who was the first African-American to fly into space. He flew four shuttle missions.
- Cross-Section of the Universe | Space Wallpaper
(Wed, 23 Apr 2014 08:09:47 EDT:)
- This space wallpaper of a galaxy cluster taken by the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope gives a remarkable cross-section of the Universe, showing objects at different distances and stages in cosmic history.
- Space Station Beams Down Earth Day Greetings | Video
(Tue, 22 Apr 2014 18:53:49 EDT:)
- ISS Commander Koichi Wakata and Flight Engineers Richard Mastracchio and Steve Swanson have a message to share with the world on April 22nd, 2014, Earth Day. -- Satellite´s Earth Day Photo: http://goo.gl/iXd3z8
- Photos: SpaceX´s Amazing Falcon 9 Reusable Rocket Prototype in Pictures
(Tue, 22 Apr 2014 17:33:39 EDT:)
- See photos of SpaceX´s innovative F9R, the Falcon 9 Reusable rocket prototype, as it soars through test flights. The SpaceX F9R rocket is a Falcon 9 booster first stage equipped with landing legs and a vertical landing system.
- Earth Day from Space: Satellite Snaps Far-Out Photo (Image)
(Tue, 22 Apr 2014 17:05:26 EDT:)
- A U.S. satellite has captured the ultimate Earth Day view from space, showing the entire planet in a stunning group shot of humanity. The photo, taken today (April 22) to mark Earth Day, was captured by the GOES-East satellite at 7:45 a.m. EDT (1145 GMT)
- ´What Is Relativity?´ (2014): Book Excerpt
(Tue, 22 Apr 2014 14:16:24 EDT:)
- Many people with a basic knowledge of physics know that Einstein developed the theory of relativity, yet few people actually understand what it means. But author and astrophysicist Jeffrey Bennett relativity should be something anyone can understand.
- What Is Relativity? New Book Offers Simple Explanation
(Tue, 22 Apr 2014 14:05:20 EDT:)
- Why can´t anything travel faster than the speed of light? Do black holes really suck? And why is the universe expanding? These are just a few of the questions author and astrophysicist Jeffrey Bennett answers in his new book, "What is Relativity?"
- Warming Earth Leads To Dangerous Droughts and Disease | Video
(Tue, 22 Apr 2014 14:00:24 EDT:)
- In 2013 and 2014, areas around the globe have experienced record breaking temperatures over extended periods of time. This has led to a diminished water supply, thriving disease carrying insects and fire.
- Laptop Bill Clinton Used to Email Outer Space Sold for $60K
(Tue, 22 Apr 2014 12:58:47 EDT:)
- Long before the first Instagram from space, the first check-in from orbit, or even the first astronaut´s tweet, John Glenn sent an email to President Bill Clinton. The reply it prompted was the very first email transmitted by a sitting U.S. president — it
- Space History Photo: M2-F3 In-Flight Launch from the B-52 Mothership
(Tue, 22 Apr 2014 11:07:08 EDT:)
- The M2-F3 is launched from the B-52 Mothership.
- Powerful Asteroids Strike Earth with Surprising Frequency (Video)
(Tue, 22 Apr 2014 12:27:03 EDT:)
- Since the start of the 21st century, dozens of incoming asteroids have slammed into Earth, some of them packing far more energy than a city-destroying atomic bomb, a new animation illustrates.
- Asteroid Impacts on Earth More Powerful than Nuclear Bomb | Video
(Tue, 22 Apr 2014 09:32:29 EDT:)
- Between 2000 and 2013, 26 explosions ranging from 1-600 kilotons have been detected by the Nuclear Test Ban Treaty Organization´s network of sensors. -- FULL STORY: http://goo.gl/pKFcCq
- NASA Earth Day Events Celebrate Our Home Planet: A Space Fan Guide
(Tue, 22 Apr 2014 07:54:56 EDT:)
- Today marks the annual celebration of our home planet.NASA has a slew of live events planned to highlight what makes Earth so special. NASA also has many online activities available, too. Here´s our NASA Earth Day guide.
- Red Planet Roadmap: DC Conference Eyes Manned Mars Missions
(Tue, 22 Apr 2014 07:16:05 EDT:)
- Sending astronauts to the surface of Mars has been a longtime goal for NASA and other space exploration agencies. That Martian goal takes center stage in a Washington, D.C. conference, and you can watch it live online.
- ´Losing the Dark´: Video Illuminates Threat of Light Pollution
(Tue, 22 Apr 2014 06:48:25 EDT:)
- Light pollution doesn´t just make it more difficult for professional and backyard astronomers to observe the heavens, according to a film called "Losing the Dark." It also disrupts wildlife, wastes resources and adversely impacts human health.
- Proposed Houston Spaceport Lands Private Space Plane Partner
(Tue, 22 Apr 2014 06:40:25 EDT:)
- Houston has landed a new partner in its bid to establish its own spaceport in the form of a private spaceflight company that may someday land its mini space shuttle in the city.
- Milky Way´s Structure Mapped in Unprecedented Detail
(Tue, 22 Apr 2014 06:43:31 EDT:)
- The Milky Way is a spiral galaxy — but what exactly does it look like? Does it have two, four, or more arms? Astronomers think that now they’re one step closer to the answer.
- US Leading the Path to Mars: NASA Chief Charles Bolden (Op-Ed)
(Tue, 22 Apr 2014 03:53:18 EDT:)
- NASA has long held the lead in the exploration of Mars, and that trend will continue, says NASA administrator Charles Bolden.
- M33: Facts About the Triangulum Galaxy
(Tue, 22 Apr 2014 02:29:07 EDT:)
- The Triangulum Galaxy (M33) that is about 3 million light-years away from Earth. Among its most distinctive features are ionized hydrogen clouds, which are massive regions of starbirth.
- WEBCAST REPLAYS: Lyrid Meteor Shower Webcasts from NASA, Slooh
(Wed, 09 Jan 2013 10:52:05 EST:)
- NASA and the online Slooh community telescope will host separate webcasts featuring the Lyrid meteor shower tonight (April 21) and into the wee hours of Tuesday (April 22) morning. Here´s how to watch live.
- Most Americans Doubt Big Bang Theory: AP Poll
(Mon, 21 Apr 2014 18:15:55 EDT:)
- Most adults in the United States are not convinced that the universe began with the Big Bang, according to a new Associated Press-GfK poll.
- Students Design Radiation Shield for NASA´s Orion Spacecraft
(Mon, 21 Apr 2014 17:49:56 EDT:)
- NASA is developing a new spacecraft to take mankind to deep space, and high school students will have an important role in designing it.
- ´Cosmos´ Recap: What Lead Poisoning and Earth´s Age Have in Common
(Mon, 21 Apr 2014 16:50:40 EDT:)
- The scientist who discovered the age of the Earth also helped end the use of lead in gasoline and other products in the United States.
- Ancient Antarctic Atmosphere Dated Via Krypton | Video
(Mon, 21 Apr 2014 16:11:00 EDT:)
- Cosmic rays hitting Earth can be trapped in ice, producing radioactive Krypton-81. Scientists have accurately dated a million year old sample through melting ancient ice, and passing the ancient air through an Atom Trap Trace Analyzer.
- Opportunity: The Amazing Self-Cleaning Mars Rover (Photos)
(Mon, 21 Apr 2014 16:25:42 EDT:)
- Opportunity has been given a new lease on life after the Red Planet gave the tenacious Mars rover a power-boosting spring clean, blasting dust off its solar panels. Opportunity is still going strong more than 10 years after landing on Mars.
- Déjà Vu: Bright Fireball Explodes Over Russia (Video)
(Mon, 21 Apr 2014 15:59:45 EDT:)
- A super-bright meteor exploded over the northern Russian city of Murmansk early Saturday morning (April 19), a little more than a year after another airburst lit up the skies above Chelyabinsk, about 1,300 miles to the southeast.
- Huntington Disease To Be Studied On Space Station | Video
(Mon, 21 Apr 2014 14:49:25 EDT:)
- The CASIS ARK-1 mission, recently delivered to the ISS, will try to grow Huntington protein crystals for study on Earth. Crystals can grow larger in the microgravity of Low Earth Orbit (LEO).
- US Air Force´s Secretive X-37B Space Plane Nears Day 500 in Orbit
(Mon, 21 Apr 2014 13:40:31 EDT:)
- The U.S. Air Force´s mysterious robotic X-37B space plane is sailing toward the 500-day mark in Earth orbit on a secret military mission. The X-37B space plane launched on Dec. 11, 2012, and is out the Orbital Test Vehicle 3 (OTV-3) mystery mission.
- Bad Lighting Is Killing Our Darkness | Video
(Mon, 21 Apr 2014 13:41:16 EDT:)
- Light pollution not only threatens astronomy, it disrupts wildlife, and affects human health. The yellow glows over cities and towns — seen so clearly from space — are testament to the billions spent in wasted energy from lighting up the sky.
- Space History Photo: Analog Computing Machine in Fuel Systems Building
(Mon, 21 Apr 2014 12:14:17 EDT:)
- This is an early version of the modern computer.
- The Easter Dragon Visits Space Station | Video
(Mon, 21 Apr 2014 11:49:38 EDT:)
- The Dragon cargo capsule, from private rocket transport company SpaceX was captured by the robotic arm and docked to international Space Station on April 20th, 2014.
- John Houbolt, NASA Engineer Who Fought for Moon Landing Method, Dies at 95
(Mon, 21 Apr 2014 11:41:00 EDT:)
- Were it not for John C. Houbolt, the United States might never have landed men on the moon. The engineer, who died at the age of 95, sold the nation´s space program leaders on an alternate flight plan, called Lunar Orbit Rendezvous (LOR).
- Lyrid Meteor Shower Peaks Tonight: How To Watch Live
(Mon, 21 Apr 2014 11:42:06 EDT:)
- The Lyrid meteor shower peaks tonight (April 21) and you can watch the shooting star action live online.
- Stunning Hubble Telescope View Reveals Deep View of Universe (Video, Image)
(Mon, 21 Apr 2014 07:17:03 EDT:)
- The Hubble image, released today, is a 14-hour exposure that shows objects about 1 billion times fainter than the naked eye can see. Most of the visible galaxies lie less than 5 billion light-years away, but some objects are much more distant.
- SpaceX’s F9R Reusable Rocket Launches on 1st Test Flight | Video
(Sun, 20 Apr 2014 20:53:35 EDT:)
- SpaceX’s F9R reusable rocket prototype launches on its first test flight, a vertical liftoff and landing test that carried the rocket 250 meters above a test pad in McGregor, Texas. SpaceX Grasshopper Scares Cows: http://goo.gl/u5KfQh
- SpaceX Photos: 3rd Dragon Cargo Mission Soars to Space Station
(Tue, 11 Mar 2014 17:03:15 EDT:)
- See photos from SpaceX´s third Dragon space capsule mission to deliver supplies to the International Space Station for NASA. The mission launches April 18, 2014 from Cape Canaveral, Fla.